Our club is very active in Track and Field events and athletes compete at Interclub, State and National events. The club has a history of athletes that have competed at the Olympics, Commonwealth Games and World Championships. Club coaches make our athletes even better and many have progressed to NSW and Australian champions.
The summer track & field season typically runs from October to April. There are a wide range of opportunities for our members to represent St. George at different levels of competition.
Track & Field competitions in NSW are divided into the following categories.
1. SCHOOL MEETS– including school, zone, regional and state competitions for each education sector (government, independent, catholic). Athletics NSW conducts the NSW All Schools Championships each year for any secondary school-aged athlete (no qualification standards apply). This event provides a pathway to the Australian All Schools Championships, hosted by Athletics Australia.
2. CLUB MEETS– hosted by individual clubs at local tracks. These meets are very relaxed and are open to athletes of all ages and abilities.
3. SPECIALIST MEETS– these events are also hosted by local clubs and focus on a specific event group (e.g. sprint meet). These events are also inclusive, catering for beginners to elite athletes.
4. INTERCLUB– members take part in these events to score points for the club to earn a spot into the “Grand Final” NSW Club Championships. These meets offer a range of events on a single day and again, are suitable for newcomers as well as more experienced athletes.
5. HIGH PERFORMANCE– these ‘invitational’ events are designed specifically for athletes who are looking to qualify for State/National representation or set records.
6. NSW STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS– the main State Championships held in February/March cater for competitive and developing athletes in junior age groups, open age and masters competition. The NSW Relay Championships, however, are a fun, team-oriented event that cater for all ages and abilities.
Members who place at a NSW Championship or achieve the relevant entry standard are eligible to represent NSW at the Australian Championships.