St. George District Athletics Club is proud to be holding a Gala day on Saturday 14th May 2022 to celebrate 100 years.
DATE: Saturday 14th May 2022
TIME: 12pm – 5:30pm
LOCATION: Scarborough Park & Syd Frost Hall, Hawthorne St Ramsgate
WHO: Past and present members, family, friends and supporters
- $30 standard ticket (13 years and over)
- $15 for 12 and under
- $80 family
INCLUSIONS: Professional Catering, music, team challenge activities, outdoor activities and interactive games, historical display, guest speakers and more!
NOTE: A backup date of 28th May has been set in case of severe weather conditions. A decision will be made by Tuesday 10th May.
The St George District Amateur Athletic Club was formed at a meeting held in Colvin’s Hall at Hurstville on Monday 7th March 1921.
The first race conducted by the newly formed club was held on a very wet day at Hurstville on Saturday 2nd April 1921. The course was a 2½ mile scratch road course from Hurstville Post Office along Forest Road to Willison Road at Carlton, and return, by the same route.
The achievements of the club in its 100 year history have been nothing short of remarkable. Some highlights include:
- Providing consistent weekly winter cross country competition for countless people of all ages and abilities
- Providing free coaching services for all track & field disciplines which has developed athletic and life skills for a huge number of past and current members
- 13 club members have achieved the honour of representing Australia at the Olympic or Paralympic Games
- A large number of athletes have won NSW, Australian and World Championship titles at junior, open and masters events
- The club organised the first Australian Marathon Championship in 1927
- The club hosted the Inaugural Australian Schoolgirls and Schoolboys Cross Country Championships at Scarborough Park in 1979
- The club has hosted every NSW Novice Cross Country Championship held to date since 1940 (at Scarborough Park)